Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The Dreaded Conversation

I checked my agenda this morning and saw a particularly sensitive meeting was scheduled.  With some trepidation I opened the agenda and saw the topic that had caused an infinite amount of grief in the organization. I was not looking forward to the conversation all day, so I resolved to go into the meeting without bias and without scar tissue.

By the time the meeting rolled around, I hadn't paid anymore attention to the issue.  The day had been too busy to allow time to think more about it.  I knew the topic was touchy and I suspect everyone else had the same queasy trepidation.  The meeting proceeding innocuously through the non-contentious topics.  Then we started talking about the big issue.

Everyone spoke in reasoned sequence.  No one allowed their biases in the room.  Preconceived notions were left at the door.  We looked each other in the eye and saw smart intelligent peers who deserved mutual respect.  Sensible conclusions were reached.  Nobody's feeling were hurt.

Wow - I wonder if we could bottle that magic and use it everywhere!

~

No comments:

Post a Comment